Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRCD Modification Suggestion - Forced Ignore
I've seen several times in #Lounge chat, of ops asking people
to ignore each other.

Then usually that just goes unheeded and the people continue to
prattle on at each other, and disrupts the whole channel.

So my suggestion is, to create a command that forces a users
client to /silence +*!*@xxx a user.

So you could then use that command to silence both people from
reading each others text. They will likely not even notice that the
event took place, and chat can go on as normal.

Usage:

/fignore [client hostname] [hostmask to ignore]]]
/fignore Warren!*@* Xylophone!*@*

Forces 'Warren'' to ignore text from nickname 'Xylophone'
This is a good suggestion - but I would like to add that if it is even considered - there is certainly a time limit set to this and it be removed when the time is up...... It would seem a little "Over oping" to me if these were to be set - we really are not here to dictate who chats with whom but I see the sense in allowing a "cool down time" -

Often, Its not what you say - but how it is read.
I can not see this as being an acceptable command for use by the Chan-op's  the reason being that to make this command work it requires sending a command to Computer-A that makes it respond with the /ignore [nick-B]@Hostmask and the same to Computer-B to send /ignore [nick-A]@Hostmask, each with a time limit, This could be deemed to be a denial of service (DNS attack). as against using the current moderation policy which allows a chan-op to warn/kick/ban any person or persons that disrupt the chat room with anti-social behavior. also the IRC-ops, if around, have the commands to shut the trouble makers up for not responding to a reasonable request by the Chan-op to drop the abuse.

It is up to the individual user to decide if they wish to ignore another. The Moderator in the Chat Channel is there to facilitate the smooth running of the chat
How about set silence +b m:usermask ban on both user for a few mins ? Cos this kinda of command would a bit against personal irc settings by forcing your ignore/silence list.
Muting both people, i think is too broad, and i think only used in more extreme cases.

That's why I like this idea, is because it allows you to 'specifically' discontinue chat between two individuals.

I would consider the long-run, that you're going to have to be dealing with a lot of these people for years
to come. so wouldn't it be nice to have another tool at your disposal to assist in moderating the channel?

its clear that some people don't have restraint, and don't know when to walk away from a conversation.
its very easy to get overly involved in the chat and it often can result in unnecessary drama.

i think ramses had a good point, that it could have an optional time limitation.

If we know two people absolutely cant get along, then perhaps that's where a permanent ignore
might be useful.

redi, there would be no need to send /ignore requests to the clients. my suggestion could actually be done
with ircop access... i believe theres a command like /s_command, that can execute a command like it came from
that client, all you'd have to do... is initiate a /silence command, and then have a timer remove the /silence.

that has the added benefit.... that if the user really did want to talk to that individual, they could remove the silence
themselves.

this idea is ideal, for situations where... the person isn't saying anything severe enough to warrant a warning, mute, or kick
but are just stirring people up.

i would hardly call it a denial of service attack, you're not denying them from a whole service, you're "curbing" a
negative situation, that has the potential to escalate.  i hardly think anyone will be offended that they didn't
receive their insulting messages from another user.

it is up to the individual, but a lot of people see it as a matter of pride, not to back down from a fight.
that's why you have people with level heads usually to hold people back from doing or saying something they shouldn't.

at any given time of the day, people react differently to one another, as their moods and personalities
can sway. sometimes you get along great with someone one day, the next... they don't even want to look at you.

so by putting a temporary divider between two people, they both just suspect the other gave up, and they both
feel like they've won, and the room wins, because they don't have to hear it anymore. 

so its a win win win. everybody wins!
Its chat, people chat,debate, abuse take out their anger on others, ok some days it maybe annoying, but end of the day if they dont ignore, and keep going when theyre told  to ignore,  they end up kicked and thats their  problem. I don't think i would want even IRCops to have the power to make  people  ignore others. I think its  up to everyone in chat to have their own choices, in this case ignore the person or  keep fighting and end up with the boot. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Love Me , Hate Me, I'll still be ME in the morning
(10-08-2016, 11:25 PM)libra link Wrote: Its chat, people chat,debate, abuse take out their anger on others, ok some days it maybe annoying, but end of the day if they dont ignore, and keep going when theyre told  to ignore,  they end up kicked and thats their  problem. I don't think i would want even IRCops to have the power to make  people  ignore others. I think its  up to everyone in chat to have their own choices, in this case ignore the person or  keep fighting and end up with the boot.

Is that a steel-toe boot, libra? How about this instead?  Tongue

Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
Lol looks painful !!!!
Love Me , Hate Me, I'll still be ME in the morning
just a comment

Women ! they always try to find way to hurt us

(11-08-2016, 01:38 PM)Knight_Errant link Wrote: just a comment

Women ! they always try to find way to hurt us

And men are innocent, Knight_Errant?  Tongue
Just another female thingy :p

i'm the shadow in the moonlight,  i'm the whisper in the wind , unseen and unheard unless i choose to become visible.
(11-08-2016, 04:10 PM)stealthbabe link Wrote: Just another female thingy :p

you just proved what I said , thank you
[img height=365 width=477]http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1b/1be93c097169e1e0e5029fabe2d1175d0e6cbd4a6685bad18a99735f793717e5.jpg[/img]

[img height=343 width=480]http://i.imgur.com/fi2kqRR.jpg[/img]
Yup ducks can get revenge :p

i'm the shadow in the moonlight,  i'm the whisper in the wind , unseen and unheard unless i choose to become visible.
It didn't take long, to go from a win win win scenario. to talking about shoes, fashion, and men.
focus people!
(11-08-2016, 06:10 PM)Warren link Wrote: [Image: 1be93c097169e1e0e5029fabe2d1175d0e6cbd4a...3717e5.jpg]

[Image: fi2kqRR.jpg]

You forget that Star Trek Voyager had a FEMALE Captain... And Voyager is the most technologically advanced ship in the Starfleet.  This only means... WOMEN RULE THE FUTURE!

yes but janeways different, she had balls of steel. lol

anyone who went up against janeway always had one fatal flaw. they underestimated her.
technically, the most advanced 'known' ship in starfleet, was actually the "timeship USS Relativity"
which was from the 29th century, but that's neither here nor there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

voyager may have been the most heavily modified ship in starfleet though.
on a side note. making a doctor and a ships counselor a commander of a galaxy class starship,
makes about as much sense as putting a cadet at navigation controls. (yeah im talking about you wesley crusher)

uhm if we have to kick , why then with shoes or boots who are with steel in it or with nails on them?
it bad enough that we kick sometimes i sugest to make the kicks a bit more NICE!!!

[Image: 119ywc6.jpg]