Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valentines' Tales
Heart 
Okay, let's see if we can get anything started on this forum.  Do you have a story to share regarding Valentines' Day? It can be funny, romantic, silly, scary, life-altering, realistic, fantasy....get those minds working.

My story goes wayyyyyyyy back to when I was 6 years old and  in first grade. My class was having its traditional class party to celebrate Valentines' Day and almost everyone shared sweet/sappy little cards with the accompanying sweet treats. It was a great day!  (something to eat besides the thick paste we used for art projects!!!)

As first graders go, I was the shy, quiet type, and I was very concerned about what people thought about me. I wanted to be liked. [When you are in the middle of six kids in the family, and you are the quiet one, you do not get the attention you might like to get from your family members. (We can save that analysis for another time.] Unlike other students in my class, I quietly sat at my table eating candy and looking through all of my cards.  One of them caught my eye since it was not the typical mini-card.  This one was"full-sized" AND the large red heart on the front was covered in red "velvet". I thought it was the most beautiful card.

At the dinner table that night my parents engaged each of us about our day at school so we each had the chance to share. I told them about the class party and about my favorite card. When asked about who had given me the card, I told them it was from a girl named Maryanne Law. Boy did I regret sharing that....for the next ten years, my four brothers tormented me about my "girlfriend". (My sister mostly stayed out of it.) They got the name wrong, calling her Maryanne LAMB, so anything associated with sheep became a key to torture me or a nickname for me. The one that seemed to stick the most was "mutton". My brothers thought that was the funniest word, so it became my nickname. At first it was meant to mock me, and later it was just habit. (Nicknames to torture were common in my family. Everyone had one or more.) Even when we all grew up, the nickname was still used. "Hey, Mutton. Let's go play baseball."  "Mutton, Mom wants to see you."  When I came home from college..."Hey Mutton! Glad you're home. You look so much smarter."

I really hated my brothers when they mocked me, though it made me "tougher" too, I suppose. Now, with my brothers living far from me, I only think of them fondly, loving them for who they have become not for who they were.  I have grown up too. Valentines' Day is different today than it was in 1st grade, but I still have very mixed feelings about the day.

I wonder how all of you feel about the day as well. Perhaps it is not even observed in your countries, but if it is, I would like to hear your stories as well.

(Let the psychoanalysis begin!)
That is cute. Family can be the worse for giving nicknames.
My step brothers wife would always call me Don Don even in public. I hated that nick and her use or rather abuse of it.
I would always be asked, even by dates on V_day if i had been a male. LOL

It ruined V_Day for me forever.,

Thank goodness i have nothing to do with it anymore..
"Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it."
oi oi great one Big Grin
I was in university and stayed at the campus dormitory. My 3 roommates and I have been best friends. Every Valentine's Day I would feel so bad because they would have flowers from their suitors and nothing came for me. I felt really bad.

It was only a few years after that my older brother told me that he blocked every guy trying to give me flowers at the dorm. I wanted to kill him for being so protective. :-)
Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
AWWW lilmermaid, to have a brother that is so protective is the only kind to have. My brother is same way with me. If he knows something is going on, he is the first to come help and straighten a guy out.
So, Just remember *Best to have a brother that is protective, than not to have one at all.*
"Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it."
(14-02-2017, 02:31 PM)^Debra Wrote: AWWW lilmermaid, to have a brother that is so protective is the only kind to have. My brother is same way with me. If he knows something is going on, he is the first to come help and straighten a guy out.  
So, Just remember  *Best to have a brother that is protective, than not to have one at all.*

I agree ^Debra.   Smile
Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
Music 
sattelite of love

na zadrovie Big Grin

just poured my sake away, i think am lub sick again
damn you wimmen !

haiz
    All good thugs, must come to an end..     Sleepy