Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Policy.
* Now talking in #Lounge
* Topic is ' There  is now a new channel for religious debating, there will never be ops  present in that room so debate till your hearts content... /join #Religion_UnOpped '

-ChanServ- [#Religion_UnOpped] Do not come and complain to ops about this room, you come here to debate at your own risk!!!

I am a bit disgruntled over this new policy of sending people away to a new channel.

Does this mean that one can not speak about the topic of religion at all?
or is it a topic of religion that has escalated to a point where it is debated about?

When I first joined this server, i posed a handful of rules, that is often setup on
several servers. that is.... no swearing, no discussing politics, no discussing religion,
and absolutely no racism.

So to have the topic of religion alone, to be set aside as a special case, seems a bit
unfair. Since my time here, I have rarely seen anyone in authority even uphold any policies
about racism.  When that is much more severe than any heated religious debate.

I also don't see how you can can uphold the use of excessive swearing, over a religious
conversation.

Its my beliefs that, through discussing these issues, such as politics and religion,
that people are allowed to grow socially... having heard each others viewpoints,
allowing us to make more informed decisions.

I realize what I said earlier too.. about creating a set of rules that forbid even those topics alone.
and its kind of contradictory as to what I just said about being able to discuss it openly.

I acquired those rules i mentioned from a game server, that forbid them,
and i think the reason why they were implemented in the first place, was an
excessive amount of trolling, that distracted people from the game they
were playing. so considering chat, is just chat, and there is no extra task one
is performing... it makes sense to have some leeway on the things we should
discuss, as the conversation is not being used as a tool for distraction.

that being said, it usually is the case... its not a great idea to discuss religion/politics
with strangers, but I might also point out. I've been on this server for quite some
time, and I have had an abundance of conversations, both political and religious,
and i can rarely remember a time where someone left in a huff, or expressed any
anger about what was said... and on occasion, i have had some ops tell me to move on,
which i have always deemed to be fair, and assisted in changing the topic to
something new. I think dwelling on the topic, can be an issue, but as long as everyone
involved is mindful and respectful, of each others beliefs, i often consider it a growing
experience, just listening to what other people think, and considering new things.

you can't always guarantee that someone is going to be mature about the conversations
involved, and that's a sad thing, but we also shouldn't let it prevent us from having
meaningful conversation either.  If we shelter ourselves all the time, we gain nothing,
we do not test our tolerance with each others beliefs, or discover a mutual appreciation
for the topics.

When I was on ircqnet, there used to be a channel called #witches and it was full of
people who believed in a different religion or set of beliefs than mine, and it was
considered a pagan belief.  I showed them all the same respect they showed me,
and I met a lot of nice people along the way. I even met a buddhist there, who was
full of understanding, (perhaps this wasnt ircqnet lol), my point being... we had
many different walks of life there, and by being respectful, there was room for people
of all religions to coexist there. now thats a room i want to belong to.

If you singled out people who discuss religion, to go take a hike in an empty channel.
Then you would have to do the same for other topics that people are possibly offended
about... a debate channel for politics, a channel where people can swear in, a channel
about world wars, a channel for sexual immorality, a channel for server complaints, a
channel for drugs and alcohol, etc.

and if we send two people, who arn't mature enough to have a civil conversation
in public away, then how is it better, that we put two angry people in a room alone together,
with no intervention?

is it not a better policy, that if the conversation gets out of hand, we just curb it?

Ok, I'm not an ircop, but there are a few things to point out here...

Quote:Does this mean that one can not speak about the topic of religion at all?

No, but when in-depth conversations of religion occur, they can often lead to arguments (same as politics). So if people want to discuss/debate/argue religion, they can do so in a separate room where all the users know what they're getting into.

Quote:I also don't see how you can can uphold the use of excessive swearing, over a religious conversation.

We do ban people for excessive or abusive swearing.

Quote:Since my time here, I have rarely seen anyone in authority even uphold any policies about racism.

You must not have been paying attention. Sadly this occurs too frequently and it is always something we ban for.

Quote:is it not a better policy, that if the conversation gets out of hand, we just curb it?

Yes, that is still what will occur in the main rooms, but now there is also the option of a room where people can go if they want to discuss religion at length and in detail.
ah Warren wherefore hast thou lost  thine gruntle ?
Catalyst makes  some relevant points
note however that #Lounge, where that  notice was posted, is a room for relaxation, and light chat. To debate ones faith is,  as happens in most social gatherings, not generally acceptable.
Your administrators have, for the sake of peace  and  goodwill, made available a channel where you may openly debate, discuss or proselytize ones beliefs with out the interjection of a Chanop moderating the room.
besides  i think i hear a sigh of relief from the Chanops that they are not required to sit an read some of the repetitive boring  and often mis-quoted passages dredged up and posted in the room nor have to keep banning those who are too biased to listen to another point of view.

also redi  you for got the propaganda

as each have  there own ideas of what religions is about  few tend to understand it  yet alone to be teachable.

[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)]To be teachable we must be willing to surrender our dearly held beliefs and allow them to simply be ideas about any given topic. An idea is a fluid, flowing form of energy. It is vibrant and alive, flexible and adaptable. The moment we take an idea and make it a belief, we have crystallized the idea and made it stagnant. It is no longer available for modification or growth. It is this crystallization into belief that causes us to collapse into duality, for we must now “defend” our belief. If what we believe is truth, then what others believe must be untruth and the ego has temporarily distracted us from the remembering of our spirituality[/color]
[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)][/color]
[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)]religion is suppose to be about  love not hate.[/color]

[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)]many  so called wise men spend their lives on mountains  meditating on the meaning of life attempting to find something that is complex in fact it is easy[/color]

[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)]so the meaning of life is about being at peace with one self and everything around then,[/color]
[color=rgb(20, 24, 35)]and catalyst if those with egos decide they wish to debate about religion it is good they do it else where:[/color]

May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown
Hi Warren,
              no it does not mean people cant debate religion in lounge, it means what it says there  is a room for  people who want to debate it and wish to go there. We wont stop religious debates in lounge  unless they are starting to get ugly, nothing has changed at all except  that room is new and has been advertised as new.
Love Me , Hate Me, I'll still be ME in the morning
I love to debate religion and politics which, oddly, seem to go hand in hand.  A religious debate frequently includes politics and vice versa.  That said, I'm rarely connected to only one IRC network.  For religious debate I join a #christiandebate channel on another network which I shall not spam here.  If you really want a serious debate, there are other places to go where that is the primary purpose and does not lead to disruption of the overall chat for those who do not wish to engage in said topic.
Mods will do what they need to do and chatters will have to follow certain rules regarding excess.  Like the laws and situations in real life, nothing is perfect but they exist.

And it is also often forgotten that at the end of the day... It is chat.  Happy Sunday!  Smile
Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
The room is no longer in use, debating is fine in all rooms we have just do not turn abuse and say ur debating Smile
(14-08-2016, 12:30 PM)immortal link Wrote:The room is no longer in use, debating is fine in all rooms we have just do not turn abuse and say ur debating Smile

Debate is contention in argument; strife, dissension, quarrelling, controversy; especially a formal discussion of subjects before a public assembly or legislature, in Parliament or in any deliberative assembly.

Debate is a method of formally presenting an argument in a disciplined manner] Through logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are elements in debating, where one side often prevails over the other party by presenting a superior "context" and/or framework of the issue. The outcome of a debate may depend upon consensus or some formal way of reaching a resolution, rather than the objective facts. In a formal debating contest, there are rules for participants to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will interact.

Debating is carried out in debating chambers and assemblies of various types to discuss matters and to make resolutions about action to be taken, often by voting. Deliberative bodies such as parliaments, legislative assemblies, and meetings of all sorts engage in debates. In particular, in parliamentary democracies a legislature debates and decides on new laws. Formal debates between candidates for elected office, such as the leaders debates that are sometimes held in democracies. Debating is also carried out for educational and recreational purposes, usually associated with educational establishments and debating societies. The major goal of the study of debate as a method or art is to develop the ability to debate rationally from either position with equal ease.

Debating can be competitive or for fun.

Remember to debate you should be familiar with the topic.

Debate is not a fight.
Debate is not used to harass and abuse
Debate means respect.

If you follow the rules , yes then we can debate.

Enjoy it.

and remember
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge
Argument is an exchange of ignorance
(25-03-2016, 04:12 PM)catalyst Wrote: Ok, I'm not an ircop, but there are a few things to point out here...

Quote:Does this mean that one can not speak about the topic of religion at all?

No, but when in-depth conversations of religion occur, they can often lead to arguments (same as politics). So if people want to discuss/debate/argue religion, they can do so in a separate room where all the users know what they're getting into.

Quote:I also don't see how you can can uphold the use of excessive swearing, over a religious conversation.

We do ban people for excessive or abusive swearing.

Quote:Since my time here, I have rarely seen anyone in authority even uphold any policies about racism.

You must not have been paying attention. Sadly this occurs too frequently and it is always something we ban for.

Quote:is it not a better policy, that if the conversation gets out of hand, we just curb it?

Yes, that is still what will occur in the main rooms, but now there is also the option of a room where people can go if they want to discuss religion at length and in detail.
religion is what a personal path which is cool but when they use it as ego and use it to go ggrrr with this is bad and what we try to stop the bad stuff. With racism it will always be stopped it is not acceptable as we are a multi culture  site we each must help to make it stop intolerance on all levels.
May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown
I agree with everything said above, such articulated answers.